Maternity & Parental Leave
Up to 17 consecutive weeks of unpaid leave is offered to a physician who is pregnant and intends to take leave during and following the birth of their child. The mother is entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) during that leave. Full-time physicians will receive 10 paid days of leave during the Employment Insurance waiting period.
- Employed with Health PEI for 20 weeks or more
- Submits application for leave four weeks prior to leave
- Provides certificate from medical practitioner certifying pregnancy and estimate date of birth
Physicians who have recently become a parent (through birth or adoption) are granted 35 consecutive weeks of unpaid leave and is eligible for Employment Insurance (EI). Full-time physicians will receive 10 paid days of leave during the Employment Insurance waiting period.
Note if both parents are salaried physicians, the leave must not exceed 52 weeks.
- Employed with Health PEI for 20 or more weeks
- Meets one of the following criteria:
- Becomes a natural mother/father
- Adopts a child
- Obtains legal guardianship of a child
- Submits an application for Parental Leave at least four weeks before planned leave.